But building gigantic solar farms in the middle Baby Stitch And Mickey Mouse Weed Disney Shirt of nowhere has its downsides. To understand why we need to look at China from above once more. In 1935 geographer Hu Huanyong famously drew what is known as the “Hu Line” from north-east to south-central China. It divides the country into two roughly equal portions. Less equal is population distribution. The vast majority of China’s people, 94%, live in the eastern portion. The remaining 6% live to the west.
Baby Stitch And Mickey Mouse Weed Disney Shirt is available in all styles
Many of the country’s solar panels are therefore located as far as can be from the large towns and cities that need them. The result of this is a staggeringly low capacity factor – the percentage of electricity actually taken from any given resource. “The distribution of China’s wind and solar energy resources [is] entirely the opposite,” says Yuan Xu at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Baby Stitch And Mickey Mouse Weed Disney Shirt, Hoodie and Sweater designed by Gravartees
The reasons for a low capacity factor can include things over which we have no control, such as the weather. But China’s capacity factors are unusually low. Part of the problem, says Xu, is that power is lost along the huge transmission lines, many kilometers long, that connect distant solar farms to places that need electricity. It’s a situation that Xu terms a “serious mismatch”.
Citing data from the China Electricity Council, in the first six months of 2018, the capacity factor of Chinese solar equipment was just 14.7%, says Xu. So while a Chinese solar farm may be billed as having a capacity of, say, 200 megawatts, less than a sixth of that on average actually gets used. If you liked this story, sign up for the weekly bbc.com features newsletter, called “If You Only Read 6 Things This Week”. A handpicked Baby Stitch And Mickey Mouse Weed Disney Shirt selection of stories from BBC Future, Culture, Capital, and Travel, delivered to your inbox every Friday.